Friday, October 22, 2010

Jemima Jemaine

Bad week. We went to my OB/GYN for our first prenatal check-up on Tuesday. They diagnosed a blighted ovum, which means something went wrong early on in the cell development. A chromosomal error. And it stopped developing. So there's no baby, and most likely there hasn't been for weeks.

We found out we were pregnant on 9/20/10. We conceived sometime Labor Day weekend. We both felt like it was a girl, and we half-jokingly talked about naming her Jemima, after Bob's grandmother. Then we saw a movie with the actor who's in the HBO show Flight of the Concords. The actor's name is Jemaine and he is hilarious. We started calling the growth in my uterus Jemima Jemaine and it made us laugh. Jemima if it's a girl, and Jemaine for a boy.

Perhaps Jemima Jemaine didn't like the name, and was like, forget this! I'm outta here! Bob had an idea that Jemima was offered another gig, and decided to go do that instead. You know how when you make plans with someone for Friday night, and then you get invited to a party that you'd rather go to? Jemima is like, I know I said I'd be there, you guys, but on second thought, I'm not going to be able to make it after all.

We were given 3 choices on Tuesday at the doctor's office: 1. To wait for my body to figure out that there's no baby to provide for, and have a natural miscarriage, 2. To have a D&C in the office which would involve vacuuming my uterus, or 3. A medical miscarriage which means taking a pill and passing the "contents of conception" in the privacy of our own home, while high on Vicodin. We chose option #3. Bob and I took today (Friday) off from work so that the doctor's office would be open and Juni would be at school while we proceeded with this magical pill method. I am amazed with how smoothly it went. My body responded just how they said it would. I am looking forward to life without nausea again after a month of morning sickness. I am grateful for all the love and support we have received from family and friends.

1 comment:

Jennifer E said...

Oh, Jen. First I heard. So sorry to hear. Please let me know if I can provide anything for The three of you. Reiki might be nice. I love you and Bob and Juni. hugs.