Thursday, January 10, 2008

Orange soda test

On Monday I went to the blood lab at St. Luke's hospital for my glucose tolerance test. It is a standard test that every pregnant woman gets these days, since pregnant women have a risk of becoming diabetic while pregnant. I'd heard about women who got a false positive on the test because they ate too many sweets before taking the test, and so I was careful about what I ate that morning. I even consulted with our family diabetes expert to figure out what foods I could eat that wouldn't spike my blood sugar (thanks, Lee Ann!). I heard women complain about the syrupy sweet stuff they make you drink, but I didn't think it was bad at all. I am not a soda drinker, so to me it just tasted like orange soda and it was fine. The only bad part was that it was very cold and I had to drink it in 5 minutes or less so I got that brain-freeze feeling momentarily. But really, it was no problem. And today I scheduled a cleaning with my dentist (my teeth did feel a bit sugar coated during the hour that I had to wait in the lab until they drew my blood). I will find out the results next Monday at my next midwife visit. I think it will be normal.

I'm so happy to be feeling better! Although I am still congested, it is sooooo much better than it was! I'm no longer going through a box of Puffs Plus a day. Now I'm down to using about 1/7 box a day. But a patient at work today said "oh, you sound like you have a cold!" and I explained that this is actually me almost recovered from the cold I had a week before Christmas. Pregnant women tend to be more congested in general. We have more fluids going through our bodies--more blood, more mucus, etc. My allergist told me that at this point it might just be "pregnancy rhinitis" that is bothering me, and not the remnants of a cold. He said it will go away after the baby is born. I'm hoping that it is left over from the cold, though, and that I can clear it up in the next coupla weeks. I've been using a nasal saline rinse twice a day, and that helps a little. My voice still sounds funny, though. Pregnant women aren't supposed to use decongestants, otherwise I'm sure Sudafed would help a lot.

On Sunday Bob and I went to a baby supply store in the Richmond district to look at crib options. We decided to start with a co-sleeper and see how long that lasts us. We don't really have room for a crib in our one bedroom apartment, and I like the idea of having baby right next to us while we sleep to make feedings and care-taking easier. While we were in the neighborhood, we ate lunch at a Thai restaurant we like called Be My Guest. On the walk to the restaurant Bob spotted this sign for a bar and he showed me how to hold my hand up and then took a picture:

We had a fun time out together after so many days of just resting at home. Resting at home was fun, too, don't get me wrong. But it was nice to be outside.

1 comment:

PB said...

If you ever form an all-mom band you can call it Orange Soda Test.