Monday, September 1, 2008

Spare any breast milk?





Our friends Kris and Ed were in town today from New York. We had a nice meal at Cafe Gratitude then went on a walk in Golden Gate Park. We walked around the Botanical Gardens and showed them the De Young museum building. On our walk back to our apartment, a woman approached me on the street saying she had a strange request. She saw me carrying Juniper and asked if I was breastfeeding. When I said yes, she said that breast milk can cure pink eye, and that her doctor told her to see if she could get a mom to donate some for her daughter who has pink eye (to put a few drops in the eye). She asked me to express some milk in cup for her, and I said sure. She suggested that I could go into the nearby restaurant's bathroom for privacy, but we were in a hurry to get Ed and Kris to the airport, so I said right here is fine. So on the sidewalk of 9th Avenue, Juni helped to get my milk to flow and then I hand expressed some milk into a little cup. The mom was very grateful and her daugher was there, too. We continued on our walk and commented on how it was a true San Francisco experience. A great memory for Ed and Kris to take with them back to Brooklyn.

2 comments:

lorigirl said...

That is hilarious! And educational. Too bad Jesse had his pink eye before Juni was born. I wonder if he would have tried using it.

Char said...

J'Faith you crack me up! A very kind gesture indeed! This story was well told. Hee Hee.