Friday, August 17, 2012

Joey update

Joey has his two bottom front teeth. The first one took 5 days of crankiness and a food strike. The second one was only a couple days of crankiness and no change in his eating.

He has become more mobile. He pushes himself up on his hands and knees and rocks back and forth. I'm not sure how but he does manage to move forward and back. He rolls over both ways. So I decided I didn't feel safe with him in a bassinet anymore (he will soon have the skills ability to climb out of it). This week we converted the co-sleeper bassinet into a playard/playpen and he has been sleeping in that. One night he went to sleep in the crib in Juni's room, but I missed him being next to me so it didn't last more than a couple hours and I brought him back to the co-sleeper in our room.

Every so often it occurs to me how hard it is to be a working mom, and especially to pump at work and eat well myself to keep up with making healthy milk for Joey. My mantra lately has been something like "just do what's next, don't stop to think about it". Sometimes when I grab my pump bag at work and head to my place to pump I start to think "I don't feel like doing this, this is hard..." then I correct my thinking: just do it--don't think about it. This is what I'm doing now. It won't last forever and this is what I want.

The cuteness in my house is off the charts. Joey is adorable! And Juni is, too, when she isn't testing her boundaries. She got sick this week--a stomach bug on Wednesday and she threw up at school. I picked her up and brought her home and she got sick again at home. Then when I asked if she needed to throw up more she said "that's enough for today". Ha! So cute! And she was right, she was done for the day and was fine the next day as well.

I work in a nursing home. One of the questions the residents are asked is what was your most significant life experience? Most of the residents I meet are in their 90s. A lot of them say that raising their children was the most significant experience. I am enjoying motherhood very much and I can imagine that I might say some day that being a mom is my most significant life experience. We'll see how the next 60 years go!

No comments: