Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Papaya

I'm 32 years old and 32 weeks pregnant.

Yesterday I had my first experience of heartburn. I changed my usual morning diet and drank an herbal tea before eating, then I ate a few cold apple pancakes that I'd made the day before. On the bus ride to work it happened, and it was unpleasant! For the rest of the day, I felt a slight burning sensation, and then by the end of the evening my throat hurt and I started to wonder if I was getting a cold or if my throat hurt from the heartburn earlier.

Well, I woke up today feeling fine -- no cold. But I still feel on the verge of having another heartburn experience. So I've been eating frequently, I ate some almonds (which I read could help) and am drinking ginger tea. The teacher of our childbirth classes told us last week that papaya extract can help with heartburn. Good timing to find out that information! So I googled "papaya extract for heartburn" today and found this page on the Berkeley Parents Network website. Several moms say that papaya helped their heartburn. It worked better than Tums, one mom said. I plan to go pick some up at the store on my lunch break.

Reading about papaya reminds me of our vacation in Hawaii last July. We had fresh papaya with breakfast every morning and it was super yummy!

No comments: