Friday, August 1, 2008

Friday 8/1/08


We tried putting her to bed for the night in a sleep sack twice this week, however she didn't stay asleep that way. Tuesday night she went to sleep in the sleep sack, but then woke up about 30 minutes later and so I swaddled her for the rest of the night. On Wednesday night I tried it 3 or 4 times--getting her to sleep and putting her down--but each time she woke up right away and so I finally swaddled her, and then she fell instantly asleep without even needing to be held. Thursday night I started out with the swaddle but kept one arm out of it. Kind of a way to wean her off the swaddle, that was the idea. It seemed to work pretty well. When she woke up for her middle-of-the-night feeding she had both arms out of the swaddle. I don't know what time it was, though, so I don't know if she slept for a shorter period of time than normal. Tonight she went to sleep in the regular swaddle again. I think I will continue to experiment with weaning her from the swaddle, though. I just want her to have free movement of her limbs. I also want to make sure we all get the sleep we need. She still has the startle reflex, and so her arms move sometimes while she's sleeping and it wakes her up. That's why swaddling helps her sleep.

1 comment:

CaliforniaJoy said...

ooh Im glad I read this. we havent been swaddling Ian and the past two days his startle reflex has prevented him from sleeping unless im holding him. I am going to try swaddling him right now!