Monday, August 18, 2008

Sleep - waking up...

Juniper has been waking up more often at night during the past week, ever since we detached her bassinet from our bed. It is still new for her to be unswaddled, and we've continued to put her in the sleep sack for night time sleep. The last two nights she woke up about 5 times and the longest stretch of sleep was only 2 or 3 hours. This is compared to what used to be a good 5 or 6 hour stretch of sleep at the beginning of the night. This morning I considered trying to swaddle her again, but that seems like taking a step backwards. Then this afternoon I went on a walk with 2 other new moms, and talking with them helped me realize that I can try to soothe her back to sleep at night with ways other than feeding her. I have been nursing her back to sleep every time she wakes up, instead of trying to increase the amount of time at night that she goes without food. So now she is in this cycle of eating many small meals throughout the day and night, and I think that is encouraging her to wake up more often at night. (Because she is always only a little hungry and so doesn't get full enough to satisfy her for a longer stretch of sleep?) Well, I will try to bounce her and/or give her a pacifier to get her back to sleep at night if it has only been a couple hours since she went down. I feel hopeful about this process that we are going through of her gradual move towards independent sleeping. One of the moms shared with me that when her baby moved from co-sleeping in the parents' bed to sleeping in a crib, there were more night wakings for a while. It takes time to adjust.

No comments: