Saturday, June 21, 2008

Firsts



Several "firsts" today for Juni. First time on a walk in the Baby Bjorn. Yes, she was able to be in this carrier for the first time without crying, and she stayed in it for about 3 hours! My strategy was to rock her to sleep in my arms in a belly-to-belly position, and then I put the carrier on around her while holding her, so that her position wasn't terribly disrupted and she stayed asleep. Then Bob and I (and Juni in the Bjorn) took a short train ride on the N Judah to the beach. We walked a bit on the beach, and it was Juni's first visit to the ocean! I wrapped a blanket around the Bjorn to keep her warm and shielded from the sun and wind. You can see in the picture the white blanket wrapped around Juni in the carrier. Bob wrote her name in the sand. Then the 3 of us went to Park Chalet restaurant/bar and we ate lunch. Juniper slept soundly through the meal and the walk. It was a beautiful afternoon.

Another first is that Juniper was taken care of by a babysitter tonight while Mommy AND Daddy went out! We were gone for a little less than 3 hours, and Aunt Squishy and Uncle Gimme took great care of Juni. Sounds like she behaved very well for them, too. I was very nervous to leave the apartment. I was mostly afraid that she would cry and be hard to soothe. But she was calm when we left and I was reassured by Squishy's peaceful and nurturing way with Juniper. Once we were out I was enjoying myself and I didn't feel worried. It was nice to have a little break and to give Juniper the experience of being away from us for a bit.

No comments: