Friday, June 27, 2008

Sleep

Over the last week or two I've been researching about babies and sleep. I read the book "The No-Cry Sleep Solution" and parts of "The Baby Book" by Dr. Sears and I read forum postings by moms on the Berkeley Parents Network website. I learned that many babies will only take a long nap during the day if they are held. And I remembered by reading from the Dr. Sears book that the Attachment Parenting style recommends holding or wearing your baby as much as possible during the day. This week it has been working out well for Juni and I both when I wear her in the Moby Wrap sling for her naps during the day. It keeps her calm and I think it helps to make it easier for her to go to sleep at bedtime. Luckily at night she sleeps for long stretches independently in her bassinet.

What all the different philosophies on sleep seem to have in common is that they recommend a consistent routine to do every night for 30 to 60 minutes before bedtime. I know it is a little early for that since Juni is only 2 months old and she doesn't have a consistent schedule to her eat/play/sleep patterns yet. However, I think it is good for me and Bob to get in the habit of having a routine, and to have one already in place by the time that Juniper is old enough to have a consistent bedtime.

I already talked to one friend about her children's bedtime routine, and that was very helpful! I'd like to hear from other parents of young children/babies, too. If you would like to post a comment here or email me personally, my questions are what time does your child go to sleep, and what is the getting-ready-for-bed routine?

Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I think Kachina had a good bedtime system early on.
Love,
Mom Sylvia