Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Mommyhood is hard sometimes

I've felt challenged lately with soothing Juniper at times. It is hard for me to adjust to how different she is already from the first month of her life. When she was a newborn (defined as the first 30 days of life) she slept and ate more easily, and we could generally soothe her more quickly. Now it sometimes takes longer to make her happy (to stop crying, that is), and it breaks my heart to hear her cry. Also, she is a lighter sleeper now during the day. I am very grateful that she continues to sleep well during the night.

Most of the times when she's been crying, we have figured out that what she wanted was to sleep and she was overtired and so it took longer to help her get to sleep. She cries the most when it is her nightly bedtime. What works best at helping her fall asleep has been to swaddle her, hold her in cradle position while bouncing/swaying/walking, and playing white noise and specifically the radio static through our living room speakers (our bedroom stereo's radio static is not up to her standards when she's in that hard-to-soothe mood). Though there isn't any one solution that always works and that is the challenging part for me. It is a guessing game and she is often a mystery to us.

Here is a photo of her while Bob was holding her today when he got home from work. Most of the day today she was happy, it was just when she got close to bedtime that it became challenging. We love her so much and she is so cute!

3 comments:

lorigirl said...

Your headline yesterday sort of implies that Bob is having an easier time soothing Juni, but your post has "we" all through it. Don't be so hard on yourself, Jenny Faye. Calming a crying baby (who can only express herself in this way right now) may very well be one of the easier tasks you'll have as a parent.

jenfaith said...

Thanks, Lori.
I talked to my Mom about it tonight, and she helped me realize that I need to surrender to my role as Juni's caretaker during the day instead of having an agenda to complete a list of things to do. I've been trying to accomplish as many chores/tasks/projects as possible in my moments when Juniper is asleep or happy in the sling. I've been trying to be too productive. My Mom pointed out that when I was working at my job, all the chores at home had to wait until the evening or the weekend. It can be that way now, too, to some extent. It is okay to just hold Juniper and not always try to complete some task at the same time. It helps to remember that it is now my job to take great, loving care of Juniper.

Char said...

Your mom is so right. This is something I have to remind myself of again and again!