Wednesday, April 23, 2008

This bun is still baking

I listened to a PregTASTIC podcast today and they talked about their favorite slogans for maternity t-shirts. "This bun is still baking" was one of the slogans mentioned. It is true that our bun is still baking.

Today was a good day. Early in the morning I went on a 20 minute walk, including the climb of 225 steps that are in our neighborhood. Then I had an acupressure treatment from Susie. Then I took a nap, which was nice. My doula suggested that I rest every afternoon so that I will be prepared and always well rested no matter what time of day I go into labor. Good idea!

My wedding ring finally got tight enough today that I took it off. My fingers are more swollen than ever, though the midwife thought they look fine and isn't worried about me. I just don't want the ring to be uncomfortable and incase I swell any more before I give birth I decided to take off the ring while I still could. I had an appointment with the midwife late this afternoon. It was actually a great appointment! It was very reassuring. I gained 3 pounds since last week, and my belly is 1 cm larger. So the baby is growing! The midwife explained that they OFFER to induce women after 41 weeks, but don't strongly suggest it until after 42 weeks. And they don't induce any woman before 41 weeks unless there's a medical reason. With a little help from my friends, I'm finally realizing that the medical professionals don't really WANT to induce me, they just want to make sure the baby is okay.

After the midwife appointment I went on a 30 minute walk. Then Bob and I had dinner at one of our favorite neighborhood restaurants, Cafe Gratitude. I am so happy to have an appetite again and to feel more space in my stomach for eating regular sized meals instead of mini-meals. On the walk home from the restaurant, we ran into a couple who was in our childbirth education class. They had their newborn baby girl with them, and she looked so sweet! It was great to see them and hear about their experience.

Thanks very much for all the comments and emails! All the support has been super comforting.
love,
jen