Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Today's hospital visit

I called the hospital this morning in attempt to cancel my NST/AFI appointment today, but the nurse talked me into keeping it. She recommended that I come in today at least and then talk to the doctor about not coming in anymore for the tests. She offered to change the time of the appointment and so we did. That way I was able to go to the yoga class this morning and then go to the hospital in the afternoon.
So today my amniotic fluid level was 10.5. The baby showed good activity but it took a bit longer than it did on Friday. I talked to the midwife who had consulted with the doctor about me, and she said that they aren't worried about my fluid level at this point. 10.5 is good, and I've proven that the fluid level isn't a problem, it was low last week because I'd been sick. They are however concerned that the baby is on the smaller side of average and that's why they want to monitor me. They determined the baby's size by an inconclusive sonogram they did last Friday. They weren't able to get a measurement of the baby's head because she has her head too far down in my pelvis. So their guess is based on the abdominal circumference and the femur length, and that says the baby is in the 16th percentile for size. If she were below 10th percentile, they would recommend immediate induction or c-section. So for now they just want to make sure the baby is still thriving and they recommend I go in weekly for the testing until the baby comes. I agreed to that. Once a week is much better than twice a week! So the next hospital visit I'll make will be next Tuesday 4/22, provided no surprises happen before then. I feel much better about the current arrangement. If the baby really is smaller than average, it could be because of genetics. Both of my parents and Bob's parents are all on the shorter side. Anyway, I will do my best to hydrate and eat well in these last weeks to support the baby's growth. I'll also continue to work on staying calm and positive, so that the baby can thrive on my love vibe.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know from personal experience that estimating baby's size via ultrasound is difficult to be accurate. I had an ultrasound at 39 weeks and they told me both boys were between 6 and 6.5 pounds. Three days later they came out at 7-9 and 7-14. Hard to believe they gained that much weight in such a short amount of time. I just figured it must be really hard to measure 2 of them in such a tight space. But's it's worth asking about accuracy this late in a pregnancy. cheers! ktb